Friday, May 24, 2013

Color Dare #44 Gets Ready for Operation Write Home

This is a wonderfully special Color Dare today!  In honor of this Memorial Day weekend and the upcoming Operation Write Home (OWH) Blog Hop (more on that in a bit), the DT at Color My Heart is using a sketch from OWH in combination with our new Close to My Heart challenge colors, Juniper and Creme Brulee.   Here is the card I made using OWH Sketch #169...




This gorgeous stamp set, C1533 Fabulous You,  is perfect for using the Close to My Heart Alcohol Ink Markers.  Some of the colors remain out of stock, including the Creme Brulee that I used, which I apologize for!  Anyway, I used my Cocoa Embossing Powder on a Versamark Ink stamped image, then heated it up with my heating tool so that I could color in without smearing.  This is an important thing to do when using Alcohol Ink Markers.  Water based ink images would bleed into the coloring.  The two patterned papers I used are from the retired CTMH paper packets Typeset and Elemental.


I cut the layers of this flower out with my cricut at 1.25 and 1.5 inches and inked the edges with Cocoa Ink and a dauber.  Then I used my Rub On Tool in a circular motion on each of the petals to give them some curve.  An Antiqued Bronze Brad holds them together.  My Cocoa CS scalloped boarder is simply a row of 5/8 inch circles!  :)


 I made another card with similar touches, but included a sentiment on the flower this time...


...and a different ribbon across the bottom.  I have a hard time making up my mind lately, so why not make it both ways?  :)



Alright, so now the colors are in your court!  You can either pick a sketch from OWH to use these colors with, or make anything else you like.  Just be sure to use Juniper AND Creme Brulee (or similar colors) along with any neutrals of your choice and link up to Color My Heart by next Thursday the 30th at 9pm CST.  Come play with us!

More on Operation Write Home:

When my fellow DT member, Becca, suggested we take part in the OWH Blog Hop this weekend, I was ready to jump in headfirst.  I have been wanting to get involved with Operation Write Home for some time now, but it never seems to be the right time.  Well, the time has arrived!  :)  Watch for an OWH Cardmaking Workshop coming up soon!

What is OWH???  Here is a summary from their website:

"This merry band of thousands of cardmakers is made up of Americans – and citizens of other nations too – who care about our military, and want to support them through creativity and encouragement. Many thousands of crafters of all ages and levels of experience have participated since 2007!

Care packages filled with hundreds of handmade cards are sent to our contacts, restocking every 6-8 weeks, and are sent in time for the long journey back home to loved ones. Each box is packed with great care, alternating styles, colors, and cardmakers from all over the USA, creating “eye candy” for heroes who see only khaki around them. The topper on each box is a plastic bag filled with 20-30 letters from adults and children across the country, letters handed out especially to those in need of a positive word from the homefront."

Tomorrow morning you can tune in to the Operation Write Home Blog Hop to see many creations from many of the wonderful people who have been participating in this heartfelt mission!  Here is where you will find it:   http://operationwritehome.org/starsandstamps 

See you all there! 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Amie! Your card is beautiful. I'm really starting to want that stamp set! I think you did a great job getting folks motivated for the blog hop. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun that you took the yellow flower from the first card and turned it into a sentiment on the second one. Can't wait to see what you came up with for the OWH hop tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job interpreting the OWH sketch--the bird stamp/image is a most appropriate symbol for send thoughts winging overseas. As well as being a part of a beautiful card! Maybe I'll have time to craft tomorrow and join you all on the blog hop, or at least send some cards for OWH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the special details on your card! I know it can be hard using those C sized stamps but you have the perfect amount of white space surrounding it to really accentuate the beautiful bird. Love your use of the typeset paper background and the crocheted flowers too! Another wonderful card creation, Amie!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding some sparkle to my day with your comments!