Friday, May 10, 2013

Color Dare #42 Meets My Close to My Heart Kraft Container!

Hi everyone!  Come on in for another Color Dare from Color My Heart.  This week we are in the pink.  ;)  Get out your Hollyhock, Cotton Candy, and Blush colors from Close to My Heart and whip something up.  If you don't have these exact colors, just find some that are similar.  You can link it up with us HERE.

My project was kind of a design-as-you-go process this time.  I pulled everything out that I thought I might use and started in head first!  ;)


I started off with one of Close to My Heart's new My Creations Kraft Containers.  They are awesome with a capital A!  At only $3.95, they are also a huge deal when you consider the quality of this adorable canister.

I used this pink pattern paper from the retired Lucy Paper Packet and an ATG/liquid glass combo to secure it to the container.  Then I cut a lacy border on my E2 Cricut Cutting Machine from the Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge.  It is on page 65 of the handbook, and I cut it at 1.75 inches.  It wasn't too difficult to use the Bonding Memories glue pen to adhere it little by little as I rolled it onto the container.  I just needed to cut the paper a bit where it overlapped, so I decided to hide that part behind my embellishments. 


I used some 1/16 inch thick foam squares to add dimension to the flowers I was going to add, and they stayed put rather nicely with the brand I used.  Not all foam squares have great sticking power, so please make sure they are really sticky.  You want the end product to be functional, not just pretty.  ;)


The rest of the flowers are added with liquid glass and a touch of foam tape underneath where I wanted it to stand out more.  These images are stamped in the three pinks for our challenge on Colonial White Cardstock using the Happy Thoughts My Acrylix Stamp Set.  I layered them up for added dimension and stamped the leaves in Black Ink on Kraft Cardstock for drama.  Pink Glitter Gems add just the right amount of bling.  Single rosettes that I cut from the Colonial White Rosette Ribbon are tucked in the sides to soften everything up.


The sentiment at the bottom was an absolutely perfect addition to my flowery theme.  It happened to be out on my desk since I had used it for a set of cards yesterday--the My Acrylix Classmate Alphabet.  Wouldn't this be a stunning addition to a wedding shower display, or even to hold the pen for guests to sign the guest book at a wedding?  I will probably use it as a gift box for one of the weddings we will be attending this summer.  :)


Now for the lid.  I had a very difficult decision to make for this part.  I really wanted to add some Black Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, but I didn't want it to overpower the floral design or make the lid so dolled up that it would be impossible to remove without damaging the beautiful embellishments.  Function was key here, so I decided to go without it.  The doily cut on page 31 of the Art Philosophy cartridge fit perfectly cut at 2.5 inches from Colonial White Cardstock.  I backed it with some Blush Cardstock and added a circle of Colonial White with a Monogram K stamped on it.  I can easily change it to the recipient's monogram when I use it later.  :)


Guess what???  Then I decided to add the ribbon, lol!



I really wanted to see how it looked, and would love your feedback...do you like the canister WITH, or WITHOUT the striped ribbon?  Let me know in the comments!
 

Don't forget to let your pink side shine in the Color Dare this week and link up with us HERE!

11 comments:

  1. I love this ... YOU should host a pajama party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you come! Lol...that is the nicest thing to say, Shelly, thanks my friend! I think if I tried this one there would be a mutiny! The fussy cutting is SOOOO worth it though! ;)

      Delete
    2. I would definitely come. It sounds like you need me for crowd control. I know how to handle the lazy paper crafters.

      Delete
    3. LOVE this project! The pinks, black & colonial white with the Kraft...who would've known!

      Delete
    4. Right? Not sure when it hit me, but the Color My Heart Color Dare is awesome for inspiring new color combos. Thanks, Katy! And Shelly, I would accept the assist! ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Susan, lol, that is super-sweet of you! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. This is so much more fun than the Pajama Party one--I'm with Shelly. Re: your question +/- ribbon, I appreciate the urge to add it, but I think its better without. Its a bit too thick/wide. Could you cut a strip of it (ie: thinner)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Caroline! If I knew I could get the ribbon really straight I might try that...worried about the straight line though. :/

      Delete
  4. You're so nice to show concern for my health, Amie. I really appreciate that! Your canister is the most beautiful one I've seen yet. You really have a way of getting things to come together nicely. I especially like your stamping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you say such awesome things about my work, I have to make sure you are healthy! ;) Thanks, Sarah, you are so sweet.

      Delete

Thank you for adding some sparkle to my day with your comments!