Thursday, March 7, 2013

Color Dare #33 + Easter = FUN!

You are going to LOVE this dare!  It is totally different than any other we have done...this time we want you to use two different paper packs to come up with a lovely combination of whatever colors they happen to be!  The Close to My Heart Papers can be current or retired.  I chose one of each: Dotty for You and Chantilly.

Now, I am definitely NOT a math whiz by any means.  I am famous for measuring and cutting my paper only to find out that I should have cut it a different size.  I do know that this was a super-fun, low-key project for me though with practically no measuring involved!  I let my Cricut Expression 2 do all of the cutting along with my Close to My Heart Artiste cartridge!

I made this adorable Easter time treat.  It is actually a clever sucker sleeve (try saying that three times fast!)



I used the Smoothie Dotty for You paper for the juicy strawberry, and the Pear B&T Chantilly Paper as the leaf.  The easy-peasy tag is one of the square remnants from the Irresistibles Frames that I inked with Buttercup Exclusive Ink.  Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE using leftovers?  Not the food kind so much, but the paper type, YES!

A simple banner with the sentiment is popped up with a few layers of cardstock for dimension.  This is a fantastic trick that I just learned from Katy Tayor, one of the DT at the Heart 2 Heart Challenges Blog.  Here is her post about this clever technique.  I continued the "dots" theme with some of our new Washi tape.  It was really easy to punch a hole in one corner of my tag to tie it to the stem, I mean stick, of the sucker.  ;)


This pretty green ribbon is actually our Color Ready Seam Binding Ribbon that I colored with our amazing Alcohol Ink markers!  I love this method of quickly coloring the ribbon because it dries so fast!  Patience is not one of my strong points.  Sparkle, yes--patience, no.  ;)  Here is a look at the backside of the berry.


 To make these strawberry suckers (minus the tag,) you need the following items:


I just love how Rachel Loesch at the Cricut With Heart Blog shows her projects with the cuts and sizes on her versamat, so decided to try it here.  GREAT idea, Rachel--it really helps explain the how-to of the design.

The 3D strawberry cut is on page 72 of the Cricut Artiste handbook.  I cut it at 3.5 inches relative dial size, but cut the leaf at 3 inches so it would not get in the way of the tag.  If you aren't adding a tag, then feel free to cut it larger to match the berry.   I cut the leaf out twice, flipping the paper over for the second cut.  This way I can glue the two together and have the green side show on both sides.  :)
I first tied the bakers twine to the stick and then wove it in and out of the flaps for the strawberry.  I wove three flaps through one side of the tie and the next three through the other, ending around the stick again with a knot.


Next, I inked up the edges of the leaf, and gently widened the hole in the middle with my Crop-o-dile just enough to fit snugly over the stick.


Finally, I added the ribbon to keep it all together.  This is also where I added my tag, but you certainly don't have to!  This was a pretty easy project for making to add to Easter baskets or for treat bags.  I hope you get a chance to try them!


Now it's your turn to take the Color My Heart Color Dare!  Pick any two Close to My Heart Paper Packs and combine them for a whole new look!  Be sure to link up with us to share your project.  I can't wait to see what you make!  :)

14 comments:

  1. I should make a whole bunch of these for my treats.By the time I get the wrapper off I would have burned some calories. And on the other hand maybe I wouldn't eat the treats at all because these are so stinking' cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is sooooo true, lol!!! The kids have no issues tearing it all off, though, God bless them! It is a good thing that I don't watch that part. ;) Thanks, Shelly!

      Delete
  2. OMG!! This is just tooo darned cute!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the measurements and instructions! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Janet! I used Tootsie Roll pops for mine. Thanks for coming in to see my project today! :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun paper project! It is even better with the great tutorial you took the time to post for us! Thanks for the inspiration!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. AB-FAB project! So cute and so timely and such great instructions. You are rocking the DT task (not that it ever feels like work!). Thanks for great links and references to others' blogs/tutorials, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right--never work! ;) You are welcome, Caroline! Thanks for all the kind words! :)

      Delete
  5. Love everything about your project. Great going. The artiste cartridge possi i.ities never seem to end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, Amie, you are too clever! This is absolutely adorable. hat a lucky duck you are that you got the My Peeps set before it was retired. I am kicking myself that I didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually snatched it up as a used set on the BB&B! I was kicking myself too when they announced it. You can borrow it anytime! I can smuggle it in my suitcase to Seattle... ;) Thanks so much!

      Delete

Thank you for adding some sparkle to my day with your comments!