Monday, March 25, 2013

Egg-cited for Easter at Heart 2 Heart!

I have had SUCH a fantastic time creating with the amazing DT over at Heart 2 Heart this month!  I hope you have had a chance to play along with at least one of the challenges.  If not, maybe this one will get your creative juices flowing...

There is a story behind this project, so if you like to read, grab your coffee and enjoy!  If not, feel free to skip down to the big reveal picture!  ;)

A few years ago, we were majorly spring cleaning the house.  My hubs was vacuuming out the crevices of an old mustard-color, wing back tweed chair in our front room.  Yep--it was a hand me down from Grandma!  ;)  Anyway, he stuck his hand down in the abyss to hear and feel a crunch.  What he pulled out were the remains of a petrified boiled egg!!!  I was seriously grateful at that point that it was his turn with the vacuum!!!  It was literally reduced to dust.  Our best guess is that it was an Easter egg lost in a hunt from YEARS ago.  SO. Gross!

To prevent this from reoccurring, (because seriously, can you imagine his grandparents looking all over the place for the STENCH that must have been present during some of that time?)  I came up with a deliciously cute idea--a chalkboard egg-count canvas!  This must have been the count on that fateful day many Easters ago...if only they had been able to keep track like this!  :)


For the base of my fun and functional decor, I started with the brand new Close to My Heart My Creations 6 x 6 Canvas Display.  I easily adhered the background paper with s thin layer of liquid glass, but you could also use Mod Podge.

This wonderful chalkboard vinyl was introduced to our Idea Book last Fall.  I haven't had too much of an opportunity to play with it until now, and I loved how easy it was to cut with my Cricut Expression 2.  I found this fun shape on the Cricut Artiste Cartridge.  I used the "kiss cut" settings on my E2:  Pressure-3, Speed-3, Blade Depth-3.  This allows the blade to cut through the vinyl, but not the backing sheet so you can easily remove the self-adhesive vinyl later. 


These eggs were cut using the Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge, and the grass is from Artiste.  I selected several products to decorate the eggs--SO much fun!!!  I also used stamps from two of my favorite past CTMH promos, the Whooo's Your Valentine and It's Your Day My Acrylix sets.  Then I used Glitter Glitz Gel and Shimmer Trim to bling-a-bling-bling!  ;)  The little banner signs are hand-trimmed and adorned with bits of Slate Washi Tape and Pink Glitter Gems for interest.   The Silver Metallic Marker added just the right color for the text.  I propped them up on Foundry Pin Clips that are stuck in the foam behind the strip of grass.


Now, I wanted to share this little trick I discovered that I use on my baker's twine to get all the kinks out from storage.  It really is simple, just hold the twine between your thumbnail and forefinger like shown and apply pressure while you slide it over any creases or kinks.  It straightens them out in no time!  :)


My Easter banner uses the fabulously shimmery Silver Glitter Paper to make the letters from Artiste.  These gorgeous patterned papers are all from the Chantilly Paper Packet--perfect for any Easter project!  The chipboard frames around the numbers are from the new Irresistibles Frames.  You can ink them up in any color you choose!  SO versatile!  :)



Once you have your 6 x 6 canvas all decorated, just use chalk to write in your numbers to keep track!  You can try a little piece of cut-up sponge as an eraser (or quite frankly, a licked finger!)  Just DON'T use a chalk marker!!! While it would look lovely, it would unfortunately be permanent!  ;)

I am really going to miss designing with the rest of the Heart 2 Heart team next week, but I will undoubtedly be playing along with you instead!  I want to say a huge THANK YOU to the team for having me on board this month.  Thank you all so much for the many great comments you have left on my projects, and I will see you again sometime over at H2H!

God bless each of you in your Easter celebrations.   My family and I will be rejoicing as we remember the risen Savior who conquered death and banished our sins!  What great hope we can have because of His amazing sacrifice.  He is risen, indeed!  Alleluia!


10 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the store of the lost egg! This is a great project and so glad I will have the opportunity to work with you weekly over at Color my Heart. Your projects are always so much fun. Have a blessed Resurrection Day! Pam Korte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, you are so sweet! Thanks! I love working with you on CMH too...have a blessed Easter!

      Delete
  2. Such a great story about the egg! And such a clever way to keep track of the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a good one to remember, lol! Thanks so much, Dana! :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS, Amie!!! Sooooo CUTE and practical!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, we just can't take those risks anymore, lol! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. This is a PERFECT Easter Egg hunt solution. How many of us have lost eggs over the years? So, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, this would also be the time to suggest using plastic eggs, lol! Thank you! Happy Easter!

      Delete
  5. Your sign is adorable! I think I want one even without the reason you made it. I knew there was a reason we used plastic eggs! Even with the plastic eggs, we have a few casualties from the lawn mower or the weed whacker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lalia! You are totally right about the plastic eggs--that is all we use! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for adding some sparkle to my day with your comments!