Sunday, July 14, 2013

Masking Meets Mojo 301

Hi everyone!  I have been playing with some new CTMH supplies this week and giving a few sneak peeks at the Autum/Winter products from Close to My Heart.  Are you ready to see some more?  Super!  :)

Today I am linking up to the Masking July Challenge at Heart 2 Heart Challenges and the Mojo Monday 301 sketch.  I used the brand spanking new C1559 Always Grateful My Acrylix set that will be available starting August 1st on my website


Here is the Mojo sketch (which I turned on it's side.)

I usually follow a sketch pretty much to the "T."  I must have been in an ornery mood yesterday though, because I translated the two parallel rectangles in a bit of a different layout because, quite frankly,  I just didn't want them staggered. That is the beauty of a sketch, though, and Mojo Monday always has fantastic sketches!  :)

I used the Love Doily My Acrylix for the beautiful Ruby colored rounded shape.  See that button bling?  It is from the soon to be released Rosewood Mini-Medley Accents from CTMH.  I adore the hint of rose in the metals and bling in this set!  



This sentiment box that I matted with our super-sparkly Black Glitter Paper is where my masking technique comes into play.  The words "always thankful" don't look like this without a bit of manipulating.  Let me show you how I did it.  


First, I stamped this image from the Buzz and Bumble Scrapbook WOTG (retired) onto White Daisy CS.


Next, I carefully cut out the "YOU are my HAPPY" sentiment.



I placed that cut-out sentiment on the CS I want to use for my card, lined up the words from the image, and stamped it right on top.  You can only do this with clear acrylic stamps and that is one reason why I LOVE Close to My Heart's!


It didn't come out totally clean since the words were so close to the skinny lines, so I decided to try it a second way.


For this second masking technique, I placed the paper ONTO the stamp itself before inking.


Then I inked it all up carefully, removed the CS mask, and stamped again.  This time it was a clearer image, and I had just a tiny dot of black to fill in.  :)

Finally, I used the "always grateful" sentiment to go in the middle of that image.  Here it is on the carrier sheet. 



You can see it is all in one line on the actual stamp.  I wanted it to fill the space on the image I had already stamped, so I used another masking technique.  This one is super easy.  I simply inked up one word at a time to stamp.  You must be careful to remove all the ink from the stamp in between for this method.  ;)

Sometimes, you can even accidentally try masking like I did with this foam square backing!  LOL!!!  This happens to me all the time when I don't clean up in between projects! 



Have you ever tried masking?  Why not give it a shot?  There are a lot of examples of great masking techniques over at H2H right now, so have a look and give it a try!  You have all month to link your project up with us over at Heart 2 Heart Challenges.  You could win Top Chick for participating!  :)

4 comments:

  1. What a dramatic card! I love the doily in red! You have inspired me to try it in black and now I know I want to try it in non neutrals. I can't wait to see the rosewood mini medley. I suspect it will be at the top of my wish list, lol. And I can see such possibilities with that stamp set. Stamp the fir tree, bling it up and you have a Christmas card. You give me so many ideas! I have never had much luck masking the paper when I stamp and always end up masking the stamp before inking like you did and it is nice to know that I am not the only one who doesn't clean up completely between projects. Thank you for sharing your work and the process you go through to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hansi, you really spread the sparkle today! Thanks ever so much. I think in your response you just gave me some ideas too! ;)

      Delete
  2. Lovely card, Amie! I love that you used some preview products--I have yet to play with the doily stamp and I would not have thought to stamp it in a color other than grey or bamboo yet it looks so good in red! Thanks for taking the time to so carefully illustrate how you used masking in your card. I'm so glad that you played along with us at Heart 2 Heart challenges (even though it was your week off!) Thanks for the inspiration!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding some sparkle to my day with your comments!